When people hear Costa Rica they generally get visions of beautiful beaches in their heads, zip lining across the mystical cloud forest, walking along suspension bridges, hiking around active volcanoes, white water rafting, waterfall rappelling and more. Costa Rica is definitely a nature lover’s paradise, and whether it is exploring it in the most adrenaline way possible or simply sipping ice-cold beverages under a palapa while listening to the water lap along the shoreline, everyone who visits falls in love.
Costa Rica, located in Central America, has become a huge hot spot for tourism, it has been a safe destination for decades, and is not very far from western Canada. The jet lag is minimal (only 1hour from AB) and flight times are reasonable (7 hour non stop) or daily connections via Houston to San Jose, the capital of the nation. Local currency is called the Colon, however USD is accepted. Spanish is their national language, and English is widely spoken making it easy to travel around.
Costa Rica has a wide variety of travel styles; from all inclusive beach vacations in the Liberia area (flights operate on Sundays with Sunwing, starting Dec 20th), to adventure driven activities with small group operators such as G Adventures, to self drive vacations renting a 4x4, pre-arranging hotels and exploring on your own. And there is lots to explore in this tiny yet nature packed country. Starting with:
- Arenal Volcano where you can do some hiking, have a picnic supper while watching lava burst from it’s summit, waterfall rappelling, white water rafting, local shopping, coffee plantation visits (yummy!)
- Monte Verde Cloud Forest, suspension bridge walks, zip lining across the forest, butterfly sanctuary, hikes, monkey sightings and more
- Manuel Antonio National Park, beach relaxation around Quepos, hiking, kayaking, bird watching, blue jean frog sightings, snorkelling
- Liberia Coast Line, golden sand beaches with casual to luxury all inclusive resorts
- Surfing along the Pacific Side for those wanting a bit more adventure
- Tortugero National Park, boat cruises along the tributaries, turtle watching
Costa Rica is great for families, honeymooners, friends, adrenaline junkies, and beach bums; all young and old alike. It is a nice balance of familiar, with lots of culture, history, nature, and relaxation all rolled into one small area. Depending on what you are looking for, this country really does have something for everyone, and I will admit is a personal favourite of both of ours. Alison has explored Liberia (she got married there) and I’ve done group adventure with G Adventures called the Costa Rica Quest. Thanks to the different styles of travel we have both done in this cute country, we are well rounded in our knowledge and are happy to set up any vacation style that suits your budget and dreams!
Give us a call or an email the next time you are looking for something a little out of the ordinary and still very affordable and we can set you up with the perfect vacation for you and yours!
Fore more information on Costa Rica or other destinations email us at firstname.lastname@example.org